Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Book a Week Project 2010



I've decided that with this new exciting happening in my life (grad school), I'm going to start a new and exciting project that will, hopefully, make me a better and more well-rounded person. I certainly don't feel like I have tons of time to kill in my social life, but I do think that much of that time has been spent doing things that in no way make me smarter, kinder, more worldly--only more broke. Therefore, from this week on (for a year) I plan to read one book every week. As an English major I already read several books a quarter, but I hope to have these books be an addition to what I'm assigned. If (during dead week or final's week) I'm just too burned out to add another book on the pile, I'll count a book I've been assigned and have finished very near that date. Only in emergencies though. I want to have read at least 52 books by one year from today. That may not sound like very much, but the statistics are actually surprising. According to the Washington Post, only about 57% of Americans read any books in a given year. Among those people, they read an average of 9 or fewer books in a year. Nine books. I know I read more than that, but I can't help but think what a shame it is that I don't read more than I do now.

So I'm rectifying that situation today!

No comments:

Post a Comment